Saturday, June 3, 2017

How To Address A Jail Letter



- [voiceover] my bare skin and head had been rubbing againstthe ground behind a dumpster while an erect freshman was humping my half naked, unconscious body. (sad music)


How To Address A Jail Letter, your honor, if it is alright, for the majority of this statement i would like to addressthe defendant directly. you don't know me,


but you've been inside me, and that's why we're here today. one day i was at work, scrolling through the news on my phone, and came across an article. in it i read and learnedfor the first time about how i was found unconscious, with my hair disheveled, long necklace wrapped around my neck,


bra pulled out of my dress, dress pulled off over my shoulders and pulled up above my waist. that i was butt naked allthe way down to my boots, legs spread apart, and had been penetratedby a foreign object by someone i did not recognize. - oh my god. - [voiceover] this was how ilearned what happened to me,


sitting at my deskreading the news at work. i learned what happenedto me the same time everyone else in the worldlearned what happened to me. i kept reading. in the next paragraph i read something thati will never forgive, i read that according to him, i liked it. i like it. again, i do not havewords for these feelings.


sometimes i think if i hadn't gone then this never would've happened. but then i realized it would've happened, just to somebody else. my breasts had been groped, fingers had been jabbed inside of me along with pine needles and debris, my bare skin and head had been rubbing against the ground behind a dumpster


but i don't remember, so how do i prove i didn't like it? i was not only told that i was assaulted, i was told that becausei couldn't remember, i technically could notprove it was unwanted. and that distorted me, damaged me, almost broke me. the sexual assault hadbeen so clear, but instead, here i was at the trialanswering questions like,


"how old are you? "how much do you weight? "what did you have for dinner? "did you drink with dinner? "how much do you usually drink? "who dropped you off at this party? "what were you wearing? "was your phone on silentwhen your sister called? "do you remember silencing it?


"really, because on page53 i'd like to point out "that you said it was set to ring. "you said you were a party animal? "are you serious with your boyfriend?" after a physical assault, i was assaulted with questionsdesigned to attack me, to say "see her facts don't line up, "she's out of her mind. "she's practically an alcoholic.


"she probably wanted to hook up. "he's like an athlete right, "they were both drunk, whatever." i don't sleep when i thinkabout the way it could've gone if those two guys had never come. what would've happened to me? that's what you'll neverhave a good answer for. that's what you can't explain even after a year.


he has done irreversible damage to me and my family during the trial. and we have sent silently, listening to him shape the evening. but in the end, hisunsupported statements and his attorney's twistedlogic fooled no one. - yeah. - [voiceover] the truth won. the truth spoke for itself.


(upbeat music)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Up